A Recipe for Apple Roses
This time of year is always busy on the Jewish calendar, which means that some of my favourite recipes come out for the holidays. Of course, there are the traditional apple and honey cakes, but this apple rose recipe is unique, tasty, and visually appealing. I’ve divided the recipe into two stages: the puff pastry and the formation of the apple roses. You can, however, choose to buy the puff pastry to save yourself some time.
The apple roses are a lot easier to make than the pictures may look. So, get baking!
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of butter (at room temperature)
- ½ cup of water
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix them gently with a spoon by hand.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, and add them into the bowl. Rub them in with the other ingredients, I do this by hand.
- Create a well in the mixture and pour about ¾ of the water into the bowl. Combine everything until you have a rough but firm dough. Add the rest of the water if needed, but be careful because adding too much water will make the dough sticky, and extremely difficult to work with. Cover with a plastic wrap and let the dough stand in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until the width triples.
- Fold the dough in half and then roll it out again. Fold the dough again and place it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Makes 8 Roses.
- Puff pastry (created above)
- Apricot jam
- 2 medium-sized apples with red skin
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar
- Remove the core of the apples, and slice them very thinly (like chips). Pour the lemon juice in with the apples and gently mix.
- Place the apples in the microwave for 3 minutes. They may only need 2 1/2 minutes so check your apples or they’ll be too soggy. Drain the juice.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a well-floured surface. Then use a pizza cutter to create slices like the ones shown in the photo.
- Use a teaspoon to cover each strip with apricot jam. Organize the apples onto the slices so that they sit side by side at the edge of the dough.
- Fold the strip in half so that the apples are only exposed on top. Egg wash.
- Gently roll up each strip.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.